Friday, August 27, 2010

Peach Chutney

Rounding out a shipment of local produce, I had a bunch of peaches that were reaching past-prime status.  I hate... absolutely detest.. wasting food, so I came up with a plan to utitlize the over-ripened fruit.

With my Ball jar kit in tow, I set out to make a delicious chutney that would be an excellent addition to chicken, pork, or even atop cheese and crackers.



Peach Chutney
  • 6 ripe peaches
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 3 T fresh ginger, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 jalepeno pepper, minced
  • 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley
  • 2 T fresh lime juice
Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce heat so low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

Stir in jalepeno and cover again.  Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Stir in parsley & lime juice and cool to room temperature before serving.

Enjoy!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Jane said...

My grandma made delicious chutneys...and she too never wasted anything. I have vivid memories of washing plastic sacks...:)

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails