Making chicken stock takes a little bit of inactive time, but it is extremely simple and well worth the end results! You just can't buy the same essence in a pre-made stock.
- The remains from a 5-lb. roasting chicken, including the giblets
- 1 large yellow onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and halved
- 2 stalks of celery, with leaves, halved
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley sprigs
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 5 or 6 whole cloves of garlic
- 1 T of kosher salt
- 1 T whole black peppercorns
Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 3-4 hours.
Strain the liquid into storage container, the large soup containers from Chinese take-out work perfectly for this. Store in your refrigerator for 4-5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
It's that easy!