- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 packet (2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 (15-ounce can) pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 box of chocolate pudding, prepared
- 8 to 10 chopped chocolate cookies
- Crystallized ginger, for decoration, optional
Place the rum in a heat-proof bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Set aside for 10 minutes for the gelatin to soften.
In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg yolks, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Set the bowl of gelatin over a pan of simmering water and cook until the gelatin is clear. Immediately whisk the hot gelatin mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture.
To assemble, spoon some of the pumpkin mixture into parfait glasses, add a layer of chocolate pudding, then some chopped cookies. Repeat, ending with a third layer of pumpkin. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Top with a whole cookie for a beautiful presentation.
*Recipe courtesy of foodnetwork.com, modified for our own tastes.