It's not hard to make, but follow the notes.
- Use a 13x9x2 inch ceramic baking dish, NOT a metal pan, and crushed pineapple in juice, NOT heavy syrup.
- Plan to make this early in the day, or the night before. Cover with plastic wrap DIRECTLY on the finished relish to maintain freshness.
- As a variation, Michele also added finely chopped apple, but this is the classic recipe from her great-aunt.
Aunt Lyle's Cranberry Relish
- 1 large package cherry Jello- 6oz.
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 scant cup granulated sugar
- 1 T lemon juice
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, chopped
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 cup chopped celery
In a medium sized glass bowl, dissolve Jello and boiling water. Add sugar, lemon juice and pineapple juice. Pour into ceramic baking dish and refrigerate until partially set, about 30 minutes. Do not cover.
Add remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until set, then cover relish with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Stir to break up into a relish/jelly consistency before serving.
Hide a small container in the fridge for yourself for later. Seriously.