Monday, June 1, 2009

Museum of Natural History

The days of food where you were able to actually pronounce all of the ingredients in an item bought at the grocery store are becoming a thing of the past. Is "nature" history?

The presence of artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and other unnatural chemicals found in food these days frightens me beyond description. Cancer runs rampant in my family, and hearing about the links of processed food and health risks has a giant red flag waving in front of my face.

More and more, I have been trying to reduce processed foods in my diet as well as eat local, organic, sustainable foods (phew! what a mouthful). That is why I am so excited that Weavers Way Co-op is expanding to Chestnut Hill. Weavers Way has purchased the former Carusos building on 8418 Germantown Ave. Weavers Way is a community owned grocery store that focuses on local, organic, and fair trade items. Call me a hippie, but that sounds wonderful to me!



A friend of mine, after remarking on his organic fair-trade banana, told me that the quality and value that you find at Weavers Way is unmatchable. For now - I do my food shopping in a number of places: Traders Joe's, Giant, Maple Acres, BJ's, and Wegmans, each for their own qualities. Now, it seems that I will have another destination to add to my list.

I can't say that I will make a membership at Weavers Way worthwhile, but I am going to give it a try! Construction is set to begin in mid-June and the opening is slated for October/November. Stay tuned...


If you would like to learn about more ways to stay local in Philadelphia or no eating organic, I have a number of links listed on the bottom right side of this page. My favorites are Emeril Green, Dine Indie, and Local Food Philly. If you have a great local spot for buying organic produce, a recipe, or anything else to add, please share with us!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails