Saturday, June 13, 2009

GUEST SPOTLIGHT - Lemon Bars

This is a little something new I am going to try. As I've said before, I have many friends and family members that are also fanatical cooks. I'd like to dedicate a segment for them and share some of their favorite recipes.

Michele, Ryan's sister-in-law, always contributes something wonderful to eat whenever the family gathers (in many cases, she is the hostess... with the mostess! She often is the host of wonderful spreads in her gorgeous kitchen!). Something that she makes that always goes over very well are her lemon bars. As I've said before, I am not a huge dessert person, but when it comes to these lemon bars, I'm a HUGE fan!




Lemon Bars with Blueberries

  • 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
  • 3 lg eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup blueberries


Preheat oven to 350ºF.


Combine cake mix, 1 egg and shortening in a large mixing bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until crumbs form. Reserve 1 cup.

Pat remaining mixture lightly into ungreased 13x9-inch pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned, checking often in the last 5 minutes to make sure they aren't browning too quickly.

Combine remaining 2 eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, baking powder and salt in medium mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until light and foamy. Pour over hot crust.

Top with blueberries and sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cool in pan. Cut into bars.


*Tip- These bars are also delicious using Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Classic Yellow Cake Mix.

After Michele cuts the bars, she places them in cupcake wrappers for a nice presentation. Although some don't get as far as the wrappers... Ryan manages to pop a few in his mouth as soon as he has the opportunity!



Photobucket

3 comments:

Melissa Livney said...

Yum! I have become well known for my lemon bars as well (which are actually my sister-in-law Leslie's lemon bars which are actually probably someone else's). I don't use cake mix though that is a nice idea...and I have never thought of adding blueberries. Must try that next time!

Rania said...

I'm a lemon bar addict and have tried many recipes but this one is really different--and I think I like it! I'm so trying this one too =)

Kristin said...

These were DELICIOUS and a big hit with the family. I used yellow cake mix, which was yummy, but it needed some more lemon flavoring. I think next time I will use the yellow cake mix, but double the lemon filling part. I can't wait to make them again!!

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails