We ended up returning much earlier than normal, so I was faced with pulling something together to bring to the pot-luck party that we decided to attend last-minute. Thinking about the fare I knew would be present (hot dogs, burgers, chicken, pasta salad.. the usual), I surveyed my pantry and came up with a snazzy little side dish that couldn't be easier to prepare! This dish was so tasty, I decided to turn it into a salad for my next week's book club meeting.
This yummy dish can be made with items you may already have on hand. It's a quick and easy side with a little zip!
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of yellow corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion, diced into small pieces
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced into very small pieces
- 2 tsp of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of chopped diced cilantro
Add lime juice and cilantro, sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste, stir.
That's it! I told you it was easy!
*Since we all know I hate cilantro, I added that in the recipe just for my readers! Cilantro would be perfect for this Southwestern-style dish, but I actually used chopped Italian parsley to give it a little color.
To make this dish a salad:
- Black bean and corn salad
- Romaine lettuce
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Newman's Own Light Lime Vinaigrette
- Tortilla chips
Top with cheese and bean & corn salad.
Nestle in tortilla chips.