Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Turkey Burgers and New Potato Salad

Still on my healthy/eating locally kick, I tried something new for dinner last night - turkey burgers.

I often sneak turkey in the place of beef in things like chili and sloppy joe's, but I have never tried making, or eating for that matter, turkey burgers. This recipe does not try and fool you into thinking it is a regular beef burger, but in my opinion, it's flavor actually surpasses that of the usual red meat treat.

I don't feel that the burgers photographed well, but believe me - they were absolutely delicious. I used locally grown zucchini for the burgers. I also used locally grown new potatoes for the potato salad - which was another WINNER in my book.

Since I was only cooking for 2, I made 5 patties and froze 3 for later. I also halved the recipe for potato salad. Please try these recipes. They were absolutely delicious... and I am sure my pants fit better today!



Turkey Burgers
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 large carrot
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • 1-2 T olive oil
  • 5 whole wheat (or regular) hamburger buns
  • 5 leaves of lettuce
  • 5 T mayonnaise
  • 2-3 tsp lemon juice
With a food processor fitted with a grating blade, grate carrot and zucchini (if you do not have a food processor, you may use a box grater).

In a large bowl, combine carrot, zucchini, turkey, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and egg. Form into 5 patties.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties about 5 minutes per side, until no trace of pink remains in the center.

Meanwhile, lightly toast hamburger buns in toaster oven or under broiler.

Combine mayonnaise and lemon juice. Spread on tops of buns. Add turkey patty and top with a leaf of lettuce and bun top.



New Potato Salad
  • 1 1/2 lbs. small red new potatoes, sliced 1/4 " thick
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped herbs (I used tarragon, chives, and parsley)
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced
Set a steamer basket in a large pot with a fitted lid. Fill with enough water to come just below basket. Bring to boil.

Place potatoes in basket, reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and steams 10-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, place lemon zest and juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.

Remove potatoes from heat and add to bowl. Top with herbs and carefully stir to combine.

You will make these recipes over and over, they are so good!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails