- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch wide-strips
- 1 1-pound loaf rustic French bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups (loosely packed) coarsely grated Fontina cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish.
Whisk first 7 ingredients in large bowl; sprinkle generously with pepper. Set aside.
Place sausage in large nonstick skillet; push to 1 side. Add bell pepper to other side of skillet. Sauté over high heat, breaking up sausage with fork, until sausage is cooked through and bell peppers are brown in spots, about 7 minutes.
Arrange half of bread slices in prepared dish. Pour half of egg mixture over. Sprinkle with half of cheese, then half of sausage-pepper mixture.
Repeat layering. Let stand 20 minutes, occasionally pressing on bread to submerge.
Bake strata until puffed and brown, about 1 hour. Cool slightly.
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit Magazine