Monday, May 18, 2009

It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch...

My favorite time of year is when winter has taken its exit and the warm yellow sun pulls me out of my blissful slumber. Weekends in the Spring are what I live for. That, and brunch. This past weekend, I pulled out my brunch cookbook (thank you Michele!) for inspiration, took a gander at my fridge, and came up with a menu.

My first idea - granola and yogurt. I had some yogurt in the fridge and a bag of home made granola from Maple Acres Farm. Secondly, for something a little more filling, I made a frittata. Served up with a side of ham, this menu covers all of the bases.





Frittata

  • 1 T butter
  • 2 leeks, diced into thin rings
  • 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 T milk
  • 2 T of goat cheese
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper

Preheat broiler.

In an ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sliced leaks and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Add goat cheese, salt & pepper and whisk for about 1 minute to incorporate.

Add tomatoes to skillet, then pour egg mixture over leaks and tomatoes. Turn heat up to medium-high and cook for apprx. 2 minutes until eggs are set but still runny on top. Put pan under broil until eggs are cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges.

You can try any variation of ingredients - this would be great with asparagus & shallots instead of leeks. For a richer frittata, use heavy cream instead of milk. Try feta instead of goat cheese. Or try serving with sour cream dolloped on top. This would be ideal for lunch or a light dinner, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails