Friday, July 30, 2010

Bad news for basil lovers...

Summer is the time for basil, and boy do I have an abundance of it.  In Barbara Kingsolver's memoir, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, she talks about her annoyance over a local food writer who gives a recipe for making pesto - in January.  Now is the time to gather up your beautifully-scented basil and pesto away!  *Side note- if you haven't read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle yet, you are really missing out on one of the best food narratives I have ever read.

Since my last post, Lemon Basil Cake, people have been commenting to me about how much they love basil.  I hate to be a downer, but I thought I'd share a bit of sad news, or you can see it as a word of caution, for my fellow basilicum lovers...

About a month or so ago, my fiance Ryan came home with terrible news for me.  He had heard on NPR that there is a basil blight affecting the country's basil population.  Quickly, I ran to my back deck to survey my several plants of what just spells s-u-m-m-e-r to me.  I peeked under their leafs (or leaves? - they're actually both correct), wincing in anticipation for finding that "ugly shade of brown" underneath.  Breathing a sigh of relief, I ran to the next plant, and then the next.  I have been saved!  So far....

Read the article on NPR about this enemy wiping out basil across New York, New Jersey, Ohio, and even Florida.  And if you spot any of this "downy mildew" threat on your beloved basil plants, cut what good leaves you have and for the love of God, immediately proceed to make pesto!  Or, tune into Suburban Spoon for upcoming basil recipes...


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails