Monday, July 5, 2010

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Pineapple and Avocado

I have to admit, I am not always a super-adventurous foodie.  I love to try new things, but have always been weary of fish.  I can throw back a tuna tartare with the best of them, but when it comes to cooked fish, I have always been hesitant.

Ryan loves fish and often wishes I would try making it.  During a recent trip to Whole Foods, I bit the bullet and purchased 2 Mahi Mahi fillets.  I knew this was one of the milder tasting varieties that I have sampled before and not been adversed to, so I rolled up my sleeves and bit the bullet.  Actually, I doubt I was wearing sleeves, it was 90+ degrees outside, but you get the idea...

A success!  Not only was it tasty, but Ryan could not have been happier.  He even came home during his lunch break today to tidy up his mess in the basement.  I took that to say, "I really appreciate the yummy fish!"



Grilled Mahi Mahi with Pineapple and Avocado

For the fish:
  • 2 Mahi Mahi steaks or fillets (about 6 ounces each)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
For the topping:
  • 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and diced
  • 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 3 T fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp grated lime peel
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 pinch black pepper

Rinse Mahi Mahi in cool water and pat dry. Combine oil, lemon juice and ginger and coat both sides of fish. Refrigerate for up to an hour.
Heat grill to medium-high, about 350 degrees.
Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
Add fish to hot grill for 5 minutes on first side.  Flip, and grill 5-10 more minutes on second side, until internal temp is 160 degrees.
Remove from grill to plate and top with pineapple and avocado.  Serve with white rice or polenta.
Enjoy!


 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails