Normally, the only thing I can come up with to do with all of my basil is pesto, pesto, and more pesto. But last night, I was in the mood for something new...
I had a thought in mind, but the rain that has been pervading the area was going to keep me from grilling out back. Enter the trusty grill pan!
These were no ordinary sandwiches....
Grilled Turkey Sandwiches
- 1 turkey breast, cut into 4 or 5 thin cutlets (about 1/4" thick)
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 4 ciabatta rolls, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tomato, sliced into thin slices
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella
- 1 large handful of basil leaves
Season each side of turkey cutlets with salt and pepper, then brush with olive oil. Grill each side for about 1-2 minutes per side, until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.
Layer 1/2 of each roll with tomato slices, mozzarella, turkey, a layer of basil, then top with second half of roll.
Serve with a salad for a substantial meal. Enjoy!