Sunday, May 16, 2010

Grilled Turkey Sandwiches

Currently, my back deck is not only adorned with squirrels trying to hack into my bird feeder, but cluttered with pots of herbs, tomato and pepper plants, and lettuce planted in every last container I could find.  I recently bought a book called Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces, which tells you how to grow virtually anything via container gardening.  A sales associate at Crate & Barrel recommended this book when I was in buying filters for my compost pail.  It is a great book!  And, so far, so good - I have a mini-garden growing right outside my door.

Normally, the only thing I can come up with to do with all of my basil is pesto, pesto, and more pesto.  But last night, I was in the mood for something new...

I had a thought in mind, but the rain that has been pervading the area was going to keep me from grilling out back.  Enter the trusty grill pan! 




These were no ordinary sandwiches....

Grilled Turkey Sandwiches
  • 1 turkey breast, cut into 4 or 5 thin cutlets (about 1/4" thick)
  • Salt & pepper
  • Olive oil
  • 4 ciabatta rolls, sliced lengthwise
  • 1 tomato, sliced into thin slices
  • 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella
  • 1 large handful of basil leaves
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.  Brush inside half of rolls with olive oil.  Grill both sides for about 30 seconds, until toasted.

Season each side of turkey cutlets with salt and pepper, then brush with olive oil.  Grill each side for about 1-2 minutes per side, until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.

Layer 1/2 of each roll with tomato slices, mozzarella, turkey, a layer of basil, then top with second half of roll.

Serve with a salad for a substantial meal.  Enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails