This delicious meal was the result of wanting to try a recipe, but not having all of the right ingredients on hand. Mix the flavors up to suit your own tastes.
Italian Sausage, Spinach, and Penne Pasta
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lg onion, diced
- Course salt (I always use Kosher salt, never "table salt")
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 links of Italian sausage (sweet or spicy, your preference!), casings removed
- 1 T all-purpose flour
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes with basil
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed free of excess water
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes (reduce heat if they brown too quickly).
Add garlic and sausage to pan. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned (about 5 mins). Add flour and cook for 30 seconds.
Add tomatoes and break up with a spoon. Cook sauce until thickened slightly, 6-8 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water for 4 minutes less than package instructions. Drain and return to pot.
Add spinach and tomato mixture to penne. Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish.
Top with mozzarella, then Parmesan. Bake until cheese has browned slightly and liquid is bubbling, about 15 minutes.