Thursday, December 10, 2009

December is Cookie Month! -- Sugar Cookie Pops --


I've decided to dedicate the majority of my December blogging to cookies. What better goody to write about than cookies?! I'll be posting cookie recipes, trials, and tribulations all month long, so keep checking back for some Suburban Spoon treats!

Safeway has a collection of holiday recipes on their website. Since, as previously mentioned, I am focusing on cookies his month, I decided to try their ADORABLE Sugar Cookie Pops.

I think I've mentioned before that I think of myself as more of a cook versus a baker. The two personas are completely different - one is more uncalculating and haphazard (moi!), while the other is regimented and precise. I thought I'd challenge myself by taking the regimented and precise route. What resulted was not only a cloud of flour in my kitchen... but something really fun and unique, kid-friendly, and a super gift idea!

I began with my shopping list in tow, heading out to the store to buy ingredients. First on my list - lollipop sticks. I thought to myself, "Where on Earth am I going to find these??" It dawned on me - the craft store! I headed to my local arts & crafts superstore, and lo and behold - there they were, in the very first aisle!

Next to Genaurdi's to pick up the rest. I headed to the baking aisle to find what I needed: shortening, sugar, sprinkles, cream of tartar.... Now, not being a baker, I wasn't exactly sure where to find the cream of tartar. I knew I was in the right aisle, but up and down I went. Passing the baking soda, the sugar, the salt, the cake mix. Over and over. Thankfully, as I was absorbed in my search, I heard, "Hey Sara!" I look up and see Andy, my neighbor who happens to be a personal chef. I was in luck! Right in with the spices is where he pointed me, and there it was - Andy saved the day!

After I checked out, came home, and unloaded my groceries, I began making these cute little treats. After setting all of my ingredients on the counter, I measured, mixed, and whipped these yummy cookie pops up with the zest and vigor of an accomplished baker - they were so easy and fun to make! I encourage you to try these unique cookies as a kick-off to Cookie Month!




*You'll want to buy several containers of colored sugars and jimmies so you'll have plenty for coating these cookie balls.


Sugar Cookie Pops (Yield: 4 1/2 dozen)
  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • ½ cup shortening
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • Colored sugars, sparkling sugars, and multicolored jimmies
  • 4" white craft sticks
Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, oil, and vanilla, beating until blended.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, blending well. Cover and chill dough 2 hours or overnight.

Shape dough into 11/2" balls. Roll each ball in colored sugar or jimmies in individual bowls, pressing gently, if necessary, to coat balls. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Insert craft sticks about 1" into each cookie to resemble a lollipop.

Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes or until set. Let cool 2 minutes on baking sheets; remove cookie pops to wire racks to cool completely.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails