Thursday, September 23, 2010

Restaurant Review - The Stone Rose


More than once, I have been asked by a few colleagues, "Why haven't you tried writing a restaurant review?" After all, this is "Suburban Spoon" - the adventures of a foodie in the suburbs of Philly! I have been dying to try a new-er restaurant in Conshohocken, The Stone Rose, so I thought - let's give it a try!

In the past week, I have been to The Stone Rose twice - once for lunch with my neighbor and once for cocktails & dinner with friends. Lunch was good; it was a lovely day and The Stone Rose has outdoor seating at the front of the restaurant which made it feel very metropolitan, as if I were eating downtown. I had the chicken pita special, which was very good but nothing noteworthy.

For my dinner at Stone Rose, I went with a couple of girlfriends for a night out. Since I am getting married soon, we thought it would be fun to go out and taste-test cocktails so that I chose the signature drink for my wedding. The bartender, who I believe might also be the manager, was extremely accommodating and friendly - especially considering I came with a list of cocktail recipes that we wanted to try.

One major point that I appreciated was that the menu strived to include as locally grown and organic ingredients as possible. From the local greens to the grass-raised beef, I was grateful to finally find a local, suburban restaurant with a green conscience.

The Food: presented beautifully, which of course is very important to a foodie. The first thing we have a chance to judge is the way a dish looks. I had the Stone Rose Salad to begin. The attractive pile of greens was tossed with the perfect amount of cider vinaigrette, but I was disappointed by the meagerness of the toppings: Wisconsin sharp cheddar, candied pecans, and apples.

For my entree, I chose the locally raised Oven Roasted Free Range Chicken. Those who know me well know that I love my chicken; I just can't think of anything more versatile and delicious! The chicken was seasoned and roasted to perfection. The herbed rice gratin that it was served with was fantastic, folded with a wonderfully sharp bleu cheese.

Sadly, we did not have any room for dessert, although I didn't even see any mentioned anywhere so I'm not sure that they even SERVE desserts.

The Service: the three of us sat at the bar, although there were open tables since we had gotten there fairly early (7:00PM) and it was a Tuesday night. Like I mentioned before, the gentleman taking care of us was very cordial.

The Atmosphere: the urban-like feel of this restaurant is unique to Conshohocken, and I think it is about time something of its caliber came along. From the open-air seating, to the hardwood floors and beautiful bar, the aesthetic of this restaurant was an A+ in my book.

Will I return? Absolutely. I am thrilled with this addition to my neighboring town. I cannot wait to try the Braised Beef Short Ribs over Mac & Cheese as well as their Stone Rose Burger. Since the location is not the largest, I will surely try another weeknight to avoid a crowd.

The Stone Rose
822 Fayette Street
Conshohocken, PA  19428
http://www.thestoneroserestaurant.com/

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails