Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hail to the London Broil!

Ahh, the London Broil. Technically, London Broil refers to the preparation style of a flank or round steak. The ease and versatility of the London Broil has made it one of my favorite little entrees! Plus, my grandmother used to make it a lot, so there is something nostalgic about this little beef wonder...

On Tuesday night, I marinated a top round steak in Worcestershire sauce and a little salt & pepper, broiled it (7 and a half minutes per side produced something a little too well-done for my taste but still yummy!) and used half of it in Cooking Light's Southwestern Steak, Corn, and Black Bean Wraps in honor of Cinco De Mayo. A little tip I learned is if you have a gas range - place the tortillas directly over the flame on the burner for 8-10 seconds per side. It chars them slightly and gives them a wonderful flavor.





I reserved half of the London Broil for the next day, and served the wraps up with tortilla chips (Trader Joe's!), guacamole (Wholey Guacamole is my favorite pre-made brand) and of course... margaritas! While my boyfriend Ryan didn't seem to appreciate my festive approach to the evening, I was quite content.

Wednesday night, I used the left-over London Broil to make Cooking Light's Steak, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Mozzarella Couscous Salad. I had a little leftover aged Asiago cheese that I threw in as well - you can NEVER have enough cheese - and it was delicious.





For all of these Cooking Light recipes, you can find them here.

*Side note - I omitted the cilantro in the Steak Wraps. As some of you know, I hate cilantro. To me, it tastes like soap - which is rumored to be caused by genetics. I was amused to find that Julia Child also hated cilantro, which to me validates my pure hatred for the herb. If you share in this phenomenon, I thought you might like to know there is a website for those of us who do not enjoy eating soap - www.ihatecilantro.com!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Sara, you poor girl! I LOVE cilantro!

Kristin said...

You know that I TOTALLY agree with you - I loathe cilantro and can't stand if it's even near my food.

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails